Monday, June 8, 2009

Axiom-Week 3

We were unable to post last week due to a wonderful vacation in a place with very limited phone or internet access. So here is our post for Chapter 3. Hope you are enjoying the book.

Sheryll: This is proactive instead of reactive. Proactive leaders make their teams feel safe by defining the seasons. If a leader is able to correctly identify the current season, that leader will be able to identify the next season and help equip the team for that season. Knowing the seasons empowers the leader to be strategic. For example, recognizing the summer months for a church as an opportunity to strengthen your existing core and identify new team members prepares us for the multiplication season that comes with the end of summer and fall. This also provides stability and gives no place to fear and worry. We recognize that attendance will be more sporadic during the vacation months, yet we still will grow, and prepare for the visible growth months coming soon.

Tony: Think about taking a group on a trip but not knowing where you were going or how to get there. The group would not be very comfortable, and you probably wouldn’t be very confident in your leadership. When we seek God’s wisdom on the seasons we are in and those coming, we are able to provide the information needed to put those we lead at ease and to make us more confident in our decision making process. Never assume that just because you recognize the season, that others will too. I have found that many times people are waiting on the leaders to identify what is going on, just like they would wait on the group leader to provide directions for a journey. Expect God to reveal the seasons to you as you seek Him. He wants us to lead effectively, not wander around. For us as a church, we are in a season of "core strengthening." During the summer months we need to focus on making the core of our teams stronger. This is a great time to have some team parties, read a book or listen to a teaching series together, etc. Toward the end of August and the start of September, the pace will quicken and you will be glad you spent the summer strengthening your team.

6 comments:

  1. Identifying what season of life or phase of ministry I’m in is rather easy for me, however, knowing what to do during those seasons doesn’t come quite so natural. Down seasons are especially easy for me to recognize but extremely tough for me to maneuver because of the negative emotions involved. It is tough for me to stay optimistic & hear from God when I’m down. Discouragement & down seasons must be first cousins. : ) However, the few down seasons I have navigated successfully are those in which I fought to stay positive while analyzing the negative data involved. I have found God’s Word to be a great weapon when I’m fighting for personal optimism. God’s truth always supersedes facts &/or circumstances and in turn gives me the motivation I need to move forward in faith. In fact this blog is encouraging me as I type it. I have also found the perspectives of the qualified people in my life to be encouraging during down seasons. Optimism provides the energy necessary to make the changes needed to turn down seasons upside-down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been one that had to know what is going on and also know the plan. Sometimes I think this makes me a control freak but on the other hand maybe its a good leadership quality. Having leaders who know the season and the plan for that season brings a since of peace and comfort to an organzation. Ultimately God is in control and trust in this truth gives us a firm platform to lead. But as leaders we must stay sesitive to the times so we can better equip the ones we have the honor of leading. I think sharing vision through every season helps people to stay focused and encouraged. Personally, staying mindful of the overall goal keeps me fired up and determined to run harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seasonz are great! I cook with them all the time. My favorite is Zataran's Crab Boil. Mmm, mmm! Of course, crawfish are not in season. At least, I don't think so. Anyway...all this talk about food reminds me...

    Fasting has always been extremely helpful in helping me understand the season I am in. It's not about getting God's attention. It's about focusing mine.

    I have been fasting alot of talk radio lately. If this is a habit in your daily routine, I want to issue a friendly challenge: Let's spend the rest of the summer season fasting it together!

    Think about it. Right now, all of the media pundits are evaluating, analyzing, and keeping a critical eye on our nation's leaders. There is no shortage of doubt or lack of faith in leadership. I believe if we choke out this venue of ideas (the doubt, speculation, and so on) we might find our Kingdom-life, our church's leadership, and our personal leadership go to an HNL ('HOLE 'NOTHER LEVEL!!). You in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think knowing where you are and what season your in is key to your purpose. There is a heavy weight lifted off of me when I realized what I am here on earth to do. It really is so simple yet so big, and a privilege that he would trust me with his name. With that trust comes a big responsibility we can't Take anything for granted. When it comes to identifying what season someone else's is in. think about it something as simple as eating at a restaurant and you get a bad experience with your waitress. Rather than losing it on her, ask God what season is she in. Maybe she's incompetent, but maybe she just found out her husband was having an affair and he wants a divorce, or maybe she just got back from another round of chemotherapy, or the letter just came today to letting her know she was losing her home. The truth is we don't have a crystal ball, but we do have the Holy Spirit and if you ask for God's guidance you'll never lose. One of my favorite quotes is by {Mary Carolyn Davis} it says if I had known what troubles you are bearing what Griefs Were in the silence of your face I would have been more gentle and more caring and try to give you gladness for a space. When we just simply love them like Jesus regardless of the circumstances. then our influence grows and they are strengthened, and we are strengthened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so appreciate that our Pastors share with us regularly what season we're in, what we're doing while we're in it, and the plan for where we're going from here. They intentionally communicate via messages, email, blogs, leadership meetings, personal conversation, etc. We must do the same with the people we lead (serve), so that we're of one mind and understanding and will accomplish the great mission God has called us to in this place at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is an element of what Pastor's Tony and Sheryll have been disucssing all year that is a good fit for this discussion. It gets back to our bible verse: "You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you."

    The part so many people miss is that we have to take our positions. I think back to how I position myself for success in the workplace; I map out what I need to do to be successful, understand the needs of my company, get additional degrees and certifications, analyze the mission and vision of the company, etc. All of that positions me for success. We must also be that way with the teams we lead. Positioning our people for success is a necessary and foundational step early on if we are to be successful in our endeavors.

    I lived by a mindset when I was transitioning from military to civilian life; "extraordinary things happen when opportunity meets action." If you are prepared/in-place when an opportunity comes up, it is amazing what you can accomplish.

    HOWEVER, there is a big piece of this that we don't want to miss out on. We should never have the illusion of ultimate control. God is in control. One of the worst things that we can do is overplan and overmanage to the point that we don't allow God the room to step in and drive us to that victory. Planning and paying attention to detail can be a deterrent to our success if we go too far in that direction as well.

    ReplyDelete