Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Language Matters

(Tony)
Good chapter to start a book on leadership axioms. As leaders, our tools are ideas and visions. We must learn to convey those ideas in ways that attract and empower the most people, whether I am trying to put together a softball team or a multi-national corporation. Sometimes I will be trying to explain something to Sheryll and I know she is not getting it because I can’t come up with the right words. I’ll jokingly say, “I understand what I am saying.” There’s our biggest task as leaders, taking the idea from our understanding and translating it in a way that will reach the biggest percentage of those listening. Right now, we are working on Dream Team 401 for our Growth Track. Team leaders are having it define their teams. If we define them effectively, we will empower more people to join our teams and find fulfillment in pursuing their God-given ministries. As a result, our church will be more effective and God’s dreams for West Georgia will move closer to reality. For instance, if I was a new member with computer skills but just felt drawn to the Prayer Team. I’m not comfortable with praying, but just seem to be attracted to that team. When Shonna takes the time to use language that clearly defines the tasks of her team she identifies an opportunity for someone to create powerpoint presentations for the Prayer Explosions. I see a place for me on the team, join, learn how to pray, and the world is changed. All because a leader took the time to use language to open a door as wide as possible.

(Sheryll)
I think an important point Hybels makes is the need to use our words to effectively lead others, even when challenging or correcting. Sometimes we shy away from this, but it is one of the most important things we can do for those we lead. We are not serving them when we watch them live below their potential. They have asked us to lead them when they join our teams. We are not being nice or doing them any favors when we refuse to lead them if it means challenging or correcting. They have placed their destiny, their gifts, in our hands. When we learn to effectively use life-giving language to challenge and correct, we are empowering those we lead to experience real satisfaction and fulfillment. When our leadership language helps others excel, it will affect every area of their life—from home to career to leisure. Let’s be leaders who craft our words to take others to higher levels. One of the greatest joys of leadership is seeing those you serve experience a richer and more satisfying life because you were not afraid to lead them.

Let's hear your comments.

7 comments:

  1. Great comment on them putting their gifts in our hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This a powerful message to a leader. When we lead our team, communication is one of the most effective tools we possess. We have to be precise with our words and we have to make sure that we are all on the same page at all times. I have been practicing this with my kids (although in more of a disciplinarian way) the last couple of days and it seems to be working. I use selective words, different tones, and I try to stay direct on what I am saying to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Language matters is a great way to start off our leadership blog. It is so important that we learn how to inspired people with the same spirit that inspires us to do what we do unselfishly. Communicating those goals is easier said than done, but with wisdom, and maturity we can accomplish these goals.
    Years ago I had an opportunity to witness to a coworker his name was Junior, or that's what we called him. I proceeded to tell him how great God was and that he should give his life to God. He told me that he did believe in God even though he didn't Go to church. I think I cut him off somewhere right there when I proceeded to call him a liar, and told him that if he believed in God he would not deny him and he would go to church. I think I said a few other religious words, but Junior just want to get away from me because I was crazy. I don't know if Junior ever started going to church, but one thing is for sure it wasn't my witnessing that did the job. My lack of wisdom did more damage because it was a religious spirit and not the spirit of love. We are ambassadors of the word of God, and we Are a window by which others see God, and it all starts with a good leader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think our words are a big deal, our communication conveys so many things like our intentions, passion, wisdom or our lack their of. Our words and how we use them will play a large role in wheather or not we succeed or fail in conveying our vision or path to others and how they receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to start our leadership blog! Words are so important...they can either make or break us. I think the key to using words that convey the true passion and vision of what we do is using God's Words. We talk to him, read the Bible and then use His message with our teams.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Words create and go on for infinity. As leaders we must be aware of our words that make a lasting impression. Pastor and CAML have certainly taught Samdy and I alot about this area of leadership and is still a daily learning experience. The old saying of " Its not what you say but how you say it" is not true because it is both what you say and how you say it" will make a difference

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here are the two thoughts that we had after reading Chapter 1…

    Saying the right thing, at the right time, the right way matters to those we have the privilege of serving. Being reminded that our words have the power to solicit participation from those we love serving is both sobering and exciting. It is sobering because we are reminded of how difficult it can be to know just what to say. We do not enjoy seeing people isolated because of our poor word choices nor do we like having to pull our foot out of our mouth. On the other hand, it is exciting because we know that the Holy Spirit will tell us what to say as He is into maximum participation. Partnering with Him in this way is “out of this world”, literally. We are looking forward to the pay off of carefully selected words.

    Silence is golden as it relates to words. In my humble opinion, effective communication is all about saying as little as possible and as much as possible at the same time. I have found that saying a few wise words usually has a much greater impact than blah, blah, blah. Why use 10 words when 5 will do? And yet again, I find myself having said too much.

    ReplyDelete