Friday, July 24, 2009

Axiom Chapter 9

Tony and Sheryll:
This is a challenging chapter, especially if you are a business owner or leader of a non-profit. Everybody makes sacrifices to get things going—I had one restaurant owner tell me it was over 2 years into their business before he ever received a paycheck. As our business or ministry grows, it is important to re-evaluate on a regular basis to continue bringing loyal staff and employees up toward their market value. I don’t think there is a godly business or ministry leader out there who wouldn’t like to pay everyone more.
On the other hand, there is the tension as an employee/staff member to always be worth more than what you are being paid. This is a principle my dad taught me throughout my life. He said, “You have entered into a contract with someone—you will exchange your work for their money. Always make sure you give them more than they paid for.” Because of that training, I have always found success as an employee. Even when the company I was working for was in the middle of layoffs, they found a way to keep me.
For those of us who lead volunteers, we must practice the same fair value principle by acknowledging efforts, giving praise, and embracing ideas. Most studies show that recognition rivals money as a motivator. Don’t be stingy in giving it where it is due. Heap praise on those around you who are exceeding expectations. Find something to praise in those who are not meeting expectations. Look for something good and don’t let it go unnoticed.
Sheryll and I look forward to the day when we, and those who work with us, are paid more in line with the market. But until then, we all have our eyes set on the bigger prize—transformed lives. I have yet to be able to put a price on that!

10 comments:

  1. I think we can all agree that none of us do what we do for money. We simply love the kingdom and love His people. We read today in our Bible reading that God works out all things for good to those that have been called according to His purpose. For Matt and I God has always provided for us as we stay focused on His purpose.

    This chapter has encouraged me to look around at the amazing teams and all the time, talent and resources that they so willingly give. I don't ever want to take for granted their sacrifices that they make for His purpose. God's Word is so faithful and His promises to us are true and never failing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this chapter! It reminded me of something my dad instilled in me- work hard and do right! I know as an employee, I always try to remember that my employer is not only paying me for my time, but for results from how I spend my time. When I work hard and do right, I am blessing my employer. Always go above and beyond. Work smarter and harder than you are expected to. I know a a lot of the people on our ministry teams do this week in and week out at CAML. They work hard and do right. I love what Pastors say about heaping praise on them. Knowing that I am making a difference motivates me to do even more. It's the same with our teams. I have found that if I not only praise the people on the team, but give them specific examples of how what they do at CAML is changing eternity, it fires them up! Let's all go fire people up and change the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Timothy 3:7 says we must have a good report of them which are without, lest we fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. In times when finances are not abundant, our priority is to protect our reputation as responsible Christians and do whatever is necessary, with God's help, and be faithful in what we're given. God always prospers the faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praising people goes a very long way!! It shows to them that you noticed and appreciated the work that they have done. I love to get praise and to give praise. It just makes for a better day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great priciple. Sacrifice is something everyone will face when sritiving to fulfill a vision. Maybe not as much sacrifise as it is alighning our priorities with God's priorities. Either way, it's nothing compared to seeing God's kingdom extended. I think it's important to remember it's not "either or" with God it's "and". When we are faithful to his calling, He will always provide more than enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay...this was a hard one. What i learned from this chapter was that CAML employees should probably wait until they have been there for a little while before they ask for a raise.

    (J/K:) HAHAHA!!)

    For real though, I like getting paid and I like getting praised. However, only one pays the light bill. That is why when I first read pastor's blog citing studies that place praise over money as a motivator, my first reaction was a bit sarcastic. I said to myself, "Those people who were polled in that study were probably not in a place of financial need". That's when it dawned on me. That statement is exactly right!

    EVERYBODY in EVERY JOB wants appreciation, while NOT EVERYBODY shares the same financial burdens and pressures.

    This leads to remind me that our lives as leaders (church leaders, in particular) should be lived "within our means"; avoiding at all cost the trappings of debt and poor stewardship of what money he has already entrusted to us.

    I know I strive to be the best steward I can be, but the discipline to live wisely with personal finances is something we should never let go of. Kind of like a healthy diet:)

    Final Thought: Over worked and under paid = job security. Just be faithful with the little, and God promises we will be faithful with much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Positioning yourself spiritually & financially will help keep you in the mindset to work hard and always do more than expected. If your mind/attitude is clear and full of love -the honor of working in the secular world and serving for the kingdom will come without any regrets or "what ifs".

    What I mean by positioning yourself financially is that you live within your means and have a giving heart- you look for ways to bless people. God will always provide and it says this very clearly in 2 Corinithians 9:8 "And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chapter 9 has almost left us speechless as Cynthia & I have been on both sides of the coin. Being overworked, underpaid & underappreciated is no fun and seems never ending. However, we have since learned that God will pay you double for your trouble. He has been far better to us than we deserve. We are glad He is not fair.

    ReplyDelete