Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Chapter 7 AXIOM

Chapter Seven Axiom
Sheryll:
I love that it never occurred to Paul not to go to Jerusalem. He had heard clearly from God and what else was there? Paul was totally sold out to God’s vision for His people and there were no other options. I want to be like that. It seems to me as though Paul was able to do that because he had taken sole ownership of the vision. It didn’t matter to him who agreed with him, who was with him. He was an owner and he must go. We can be totally in love with God and still not be an owner. Loving God is step one, but loving what He loves, taking ownership of it, is what will take us from a hireling to an owner. Let’s always find out what He loves and go for it.

Tony:
Each of us has probably already been at the crossroads Hybels talks about on page 37. And, as leaders, we will come to it again. However, we get to decide how often we come to that crossroad. If we are not sold out to the vision God has given us and those we are doing life with, those crossroads will come often. If we will make the decision that we are in this for the long haul, even life, then the crossroads will occur less in our lives. The more variables we allow to effect our commitment to the vision, the more we move toward hireling. Variables like recognition, work required, team members who quit, etc.
There are also indicators to tell us when we are drifting toward hireling and away from owner: walking past a piece of trash instead of picking it up, arriving late and leaving early, looking for ways to avoid continually connecting with new people, or becoming so absorbed in “my team” I lose touch with what is going on with the church.
Dana pointed out how important it is to treat the people we lead like owners and not hirelings. Take ownership of God's vision for our church and your life. Encourage those you lead to move from hireling to owner. Let’s be finishers.

Let’s hear your comments.

6 comments:

  1. This chapter reminded of the time when I was a kid and my mom asked me to take care of her brand new turquoise bracelet, I immediately decided that this was my opportunity to pretend I was a pirate and bury it in the backyard. When she got home and I told her that I couldn't find it (big surprise) she let me know that the bracelet was mine all along she just didn't want me to know until my dad got home and could be there too. Let's just say that it took days for us to fill in the holes in the backyard from trying to get it back. How different I treated that bracelet when I knew it was mine.
    I think that is how I want to treat every aspect of my church, because it is just that, 'my church'. When it is mine and I take ownership of it, it is amazing how much I treasure it and of course, I will never bury it in the backyard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of when Debbie and I were asked to lead the Welcomer's Team. I was really worried about it messing up my hunting and weekend activities. I was at a crossroads there. I could do what I wanted to do, or I could do what I knew God was calling me to do at the Church at Mirror Lake. I am so glad I made the choice I did because I would have missed some really amazing experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read this chapter it reminded me of our meeting we had several months ago with Pastor Spike. He spoke to us about owners vs renters. The aspect of when we were renters of a home vs when we owned really hit home with me. Example: When you own a home you will probably plant flowers,landscape,decorate, and paint vs renting you may opt to just do the minimums. We always want to take ownership in the church because God said he loved the church some much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I was listening to the story about how he had to go through all that time and energy to get his VISA straightened out, I heard loud and clear the part where his partner told him "we're not asking you to take a beating here, we're just asking you to watch a lot of movies!" Sometimes I get so task focused I forget about the fun factor, but as an owner there will definitly be times God requires more from me -- I'm just thankful beatings aren't included in those requirements!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminded me also of our leadership meeting with Reverend Spike. I actually pulled it out and listened to it again. Here's what God keeps bringing me back to while reading Axiom: Always keep your vision singularly focused. If I will just stay focused on Jesus and His Church, then everything else will fall into place naturally. I think Jesus makes it easy for us and sometimes I complicate things. I just need to stay singularly focused.

    ReplyDelete