Saturday, August 8, 2009

Axiom Boiler Fund

Tony and Sheryll: This is an area too many people dismiss when thinking about ministry and life. If we don't handle the money part well, we won't get to do the other parts. Jesus taught the way you handle money is one of the determining factors in what else in His Kingdom you will get to handle. Handle the money well and we get more and more chances to handle the important things (people) well. This is not a side issue, it is at the heart of Kingdom business. Jesus said you can determine where someone's heart is by looking at their checkbook. As ministries, and as individuals, we must place a high priority on handling the money. Hybels is teaching a principle in this chapter that Chris Hodges has become famous for teaching--learn to live on margin. If you think about it, the whole tithing principle is one of the ways God teaches us a healthy, peaceful way to live--learn to live on less than you bring in. Too many of us see our income as what we have to live on and if it is not enough we seek raises, promotions, another job, more hours, side jobs, etc. Instead of looking for ways to live within a margin of what we make, say 80 to 85%, we are always looking for increase and always increasing the pressure and demands on our time and peace. Our goal is to see CAML live on less than 80% of what comes in. Think about the peace and the flexibility. Think about the peace, flexibility and giving power of a whole church living on less than 80% of what comes in to our personal homes. Now there is a worthwhile goal.

12 comments:

  1. I love this principle. Living with room to breath helps take the preasure off life when it comes to finances. It is important as leaders to have every area of life in order so that we may represent Christ well. Keeping a "boiler fund" is wise and I believe is characteristic of a good steward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was great as God has been speaking to Matt and I about the same thing. Matt and I have made this commitment personally (emergency fund..per Dave Ramsey) in our own household. I really believe that we can never be good stewards of His church and His people if we are not good stewards of our own household. God has really been changing the way we think about our checkbook and in doing so making us much more disciplined people in general. Bill Hybels is brilliant for sharing this with the world. I'm so glad God's people are striving to be good stewards...definitely will be one more way to make the world see Him in all we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with this principle. Crystal and I have learned a huge lesson by not using this principle in our household. It has been very costly not just to us but to those we serve. We now understand that it is a must to be good stewards of God's money, And that a boiler fund is a large part of that. Why would the church not operate under the same God given principles?

    ReplyDelete
  5. God has really spoken to my family about how we keep our checkbooks as well. I have always assumed that my children would 'do as we said not as we do'. God said that we would lead our children first so our checkbook just got a major overhaul. Our priorities changed but the most beautiful thing is that I just let God show me exactly what to do and you know what, it is working out perfectly. We make the same amount but we have so much more because we have chosen to go by His principles. And when we fall He is there to help us right back up. It is such a relief when we are good stewards of God's money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Over the past couple of years Cynthia & I have not been perfect w/ our money, however, God has helped us to establih an emergency fund, which is nice. Being able to live off of less & save some and give extra is a blessing. We never want to live from pay check to pay check again. Although God's blessing is not something we deserve, giving does open the door for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this is hard to believe....but all I can say is to quote John Hagee..."Amen, and Amen, Amen!!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Come to think of it, I do have a tip to share:)

    Budgeting is the key to living on a margin. Every dollar spent gets a name. It is amazing what choices we make without even knowing what we can spend. While a boiler fund is definitely a beginning, I believe a designated fund for EVERY determined priority is a great "end" goal.

    I know this is elementary for some folks, but I can go down a list of people (I, once included) who live under constant stress because they miss this. It is not because they failed to designate a boiler (or emergency) fund, but because they miss simply designating funds [period].

    That's my two cents! (pun intended:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is Thank God for Jeff!!! After reading this chapter I gave a prayer of thanks to God for sending me a wonderful husband who handles our finances very well.... lolol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with Matt on this, I have found the only way Larry and I can be good stewards of what God has given us is to make a budget. We budget everything we spend, it really helps show you where your priorities are when you can really see where your money is going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having a boiler fund creates a lot of breathing room. Making saving a priority in our personal and church finances, I think, opens us up to even more of what God has to do through us. It makes life and ministry so much more fun when you are operating in a pressure-free environment financially!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandy and I loved this chapter because it is something we are in the midst of working on. We started working on becoming debt free about 9 months ago and creating a boiler fund with the Dave Ramsey plan and it works. God had been dealing with us on how debt could keep us from being a blessing to others. The discipline it creates by becoming debt free has really set us free with our finances. The ability to give more of your resources,time, and money will always be pleasing to God. What a great book!

    ReplyDelete